This week our ‘Hidden Gem’ offers you probably one of the coolest vibes you will find in Cape Town and you don’t have to be a die-hard hipster in order to feel like you fit in here. Oh no! Truth Coffee Roasting is a coffee shop with a difference. So let us tell you more about this unique and awesome gem……
What it’s all about
Named both The World’s Best and The World’s Coolest coffee shop, we are stoked that Truth Coffee Roasting is located smack bang in the middle of our very own Mother- city.
“There are few cafés in the world as stunning as Truth, a ‘steampunk inspired’ artisan coffee shop that is filled from top to bottom with metal piping and quirky old machinery,” reads The Telegraph article.
“But people don’t just flock there for the decor – the coffee is all hand-roasted in a vintage cast-iron drum, and the company supplies many of South Africa’s top hotels.”
With too cool for school Baristas walking around in their awesome ‘Steam punk’ clobber you just know when entering that you are going to receive a more than just your regular coffee shop visit!
Fully equipped with an ipad to take your order, these Barista’s not only look good but they are also extremely knowledgeable about their main attraction – coffee.
There is a full breakfast and lunch menu with many different meal options so you are able to eat here too. The breakfast menu includes some unusual plates such as “The Benedict’s Underbelly” which is eggs benedict with (you’ve guessed it) slow braised pulled pork served with fried pak choi. We found that the originality and presentation of the food here is great but for us the flavours don’t always work. We suggest keeping it simple by opting for the “Truly Scrambled” or a classic “BLT” if you are feeling peckish. But for us the highlight really is the coffee……..
Truth works on the philosophy, which is “The Joy of Extraordinary TRUTH”. They want to deliver upon the promise made by the aroma of freshly ground coffee. They do this by sourcing their beans from the best coffee producing countries in the world. And as they do find the best it means they pay more for better coffee which means that you pay slightly more for a cup of it. But believe us when we say paying a few rand more for a cup of Truth’s coffee is totally worth it!
They roast each bean in the vintage cast-iron drum which is dramatically placed in the center of the coffee shop.
After roasting the bean they mix it with other coffees to create blends if deliciousness!
And if you really LOVE coffee and would like to learn how to pour a perfect espresso like a pro and WOW your mates back home with some kick ass coffee knowledge – we recommend that you check out one of Truth’s popular barista courses.
Location, location, location
36 Buitenkant Street
+27 (0)21 2000440
- We recommend that you get here early as Truth is well known for being lekker (awesome) with the locals, so it can get very busy especially on weekends
- Why not take a bag of the coffee beans back home with you as a gift? Okay, so they are not the cheapest beans you will find in South Africa but we can’t think of a better gift than a bag of beans from the best coffee shop in the world!
- Do not forget to take photos when you are there. This place is epic and you will want to remember it. So a fully charged phone or camera is a must.
- If you want a day of indulgence you can always head to Charly’s Bakery (a previous hidden gem) which is a short walk from Truth – for something sweet.
- We recommend you take a visit to this awesome steampunk themed coffee shop and don’t forget to use the hashtag #neverathomeSA with the pics you upload to social media sites after your visit. ENJOY!